Modera’s roots date to 1983. That’s when our predecessor firm established itself as one of the country’s first fee-only advisories, to align the best interests of the firm and its clients. Today, we operate offices in 16 Eastern cities and manage over $11.4 billion in client assets.
A History of Strategic Growth
Our growth has been driven by a desire to give clients an exceptionally personal service experience, and access to new investment opportunities. Ultimately, we’ve grown in those special moments when we’ve connected with firms and individuals who share our distinct combination of professional excellence and friendly, relatable work style.
There are more benefits to our increased scale: Streamlining and centralizing our operations lets us focus even more attention on you. Expanding our brain trust puts tremendous expertise at your disposal. Consolidating the pool of assets we manage gives you access to new investment opportunities, and gives us the power to negotiate lower fees on your behalf.
- 1983: Gary Greenbaum of Greenbaum & Associates is an early pioneer in establishing fee-only advisory firm Modera.
- 1995: Tom Orecchio partners with Gary Greenbaum.
- 2011: Back Bay Financial Group and Modera combine to form a two-office (Boston, MA, and Westwood, NJ) regional Modera with $964 million AUM.
- 2013: Modera has over $1 billion AUM and 17 CFP® certificants.
- 2014: Joseph Capital Management joins Modera, creating a third location in Hernando, FL.
- 2015: Modera establishes an office in Atlanta, GA, its fourth location.
- 2016: Graf Financial Advisors joins Modera in its NJ location. Hernando, FL office moves to Inverness, FL.
- 2017: Cambridge Wealth Counsel joins Modera in its Atlanta location. Modera has over $2 billion AUM and 31 CFP® certificants.
- 2018: Matrix Wealth Advisors joins Modera, creating a fifth location in Charlotte, NC.
- 2020: Keatley Wealth Management joins Modera in its Charlotte location. The newly combined Modera has $2.7 billion AUM and 35 CFP® certificants.
- 2021: Independence Advisors joins Modera, establishing a location in Wayne, PA.
- 2022: The staff of Greystone Wealth Advisors joins Modera, establishing a location in New York City and Westchester. Also joining the firm were Kaplan Financial and Stonebridge Financial in New Jersey, and the team at Bernhardt Wealth Management in Virginia.
- 2023: Parsec Financial, Crimmins Wealth Management, and Baldrige Asset Management teams join Modera, adding six offices across NC and a second location in PA. Modera reaches $11.4 billion in assets managed and 83 CFP® certificants.
Barron's Top 100 registered investment advisors
Barron’s honors Modera in its Top 100 Registered Investment Advisor Firms in 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.
USA Today Best Financial Advisory Firms
Modera Wealth Ranks in USA Today’s Inaugural List of “Best Financial Advisory Firms of 2023.” The ranking of the best RIA firms is based on two dimensions: recommendations by clients and peers and a firm’s growth of assets under management (AUM).
Financial Advisor Magazine RIA Survey and Ranking
Financial Advisor Magazine ranks Modera 68th in its 2023 RIA Firm Ranking, up from the 75th spot in 2022. FA Magazine ranked 521 RIA firms in total, 91 of which had more than $5 billion in assets managed as of the end of 2022.
Pensions & Investments best places to work in money management
Pensions & Investments Magazine recognizes Modera in its Best Places to Work in Money Management edition, seven years in a row from 2016 to 2022.
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors Inspiring Leader Award
Mindy Neira is recognized as NAPFA’s 2022 Inspiring Leader Award recipient for an established record of encouraging, motivating, and engaging others in reaching their full professional potential under the auspices of the association.
Financial Advisor Magazine Top 50 Fastest Growing Firms
Financial Advisor Magazine ranks Modera #8 on its list of Top 50 Fastest Growing Firms.
Investment News 75 best places to work
Investment News includes Modera in its ranking of 75 Best Places to Work for Financial Advisors. (2018-2021)
Financial Times 300 Top registered investment advisors
Financial Times includes Modera in its ranking of 300 Top Registered Investment Advisors from 2014-2019.
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors robert J. underwood award
Modera founder & CEO Tom Orecchio receives the Robert J. Underwood Award for long-term service to NAPFA in 2013. Modera’s Giles Almond receives the award in 2017.